A variety of national and provincial/territorial organizations that are involved with housing undertake or commission housing-related research. These may be non-profit, non-governmental organizations. At the national level, the majority are members of NHRC, among them:
- The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM), which undertakes research for national policy development from the perspective of Canadaâ€™s municipalities
- The Canadian Home Buildersâ€™ Association (CHBA), which examines issues of concern to housing consumers, communities within which residential development takes place, governments, and the home building industry
- The Canadian Housing and Renewal Association (CHRA), which looks at affordable housing issues on behalf of its members, including non-profit and public housing organizations, municipalities, other organizations and consultants and academics interested in affordable housing
- The Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada (CHF), which addresses specific needs and issues relating to housing cooperatives
- The Canadian Federation of Apartment AssociationsÂ (CFAA) represents the owners and managers of more than one million residential rental suites in Canada
At the provincial/territorial level, organizations also undertake housing-related research.Â These include, for example, the Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association (ONPHA), the British Columbia Non-Profit Housing Association (BCNPHA), and the Affordable Housing Association of Nova Scotia (AHANS).